Wildfire prevention is important, especially with the never-ending wildfires occurring daily in the state of California. According to the US Forest Service, around 7.5 million acres of land are lost to wildfires every year in the United States of America.
This means a lot of properties are at risk of damage and a lot of lives are at stake. Here at Defensible Services, we will be sharing a blog post about how to prevent wildfires. If you think this blog post is beneficial to you and you are interested to learn more information, make sure to keep reading below to find out.
The most effective strategy on how to prevent wildfires from occurring is to never let them happen in the first place. Forest fire prevention and control can be done by observing effective agricultural and forest management strategies as well as public understanding and concern, as well as doing your part and responsibility as a property owner.
What Can Cause a Wildfire?
Wildfires can occur due to different causes. It may involve natural weather disturbances and human-related activities. Here are some of the most common causes of wildfires.
- Campfires – Unattended campfires in the wild especially during drought, dry areas with dried vegetation can be easily affected and it can quickly spread in the surrounding areas.
- Cigarette butts – Discarding cigarette butts anywhere can cause wildfires especially if it reaches dry vegetation.
- Debris and trash burning – Burning debris or trash can also cause wildfires. When the winds are strong they can cause embers to fly which can ignite dry vegetation in nearby areas.
- Fireworks – Fireworks can produce sparks which can cause dry vegetation to ignite and lead to huge wildfires that can also affect nearby wooded areas and even properties.
- Lightning strikes – During summertime, a lot of areas in California can experience wildfires caught by lightning strikes. It can ignite dry vegetation which can spread uncontrollably if not attended to immediately.
- Vehicles – The vehicle exhaust can become too hot which can ignite nearby dry vegetation. Off-road automobiles without spark arrestors are known for causing wildfires in forest areas.
What Can You Do to Protect Your Property From Wildfires?
- Make sure to have 30 feet of green space or hardscaping surrounding your property.
- Clear the surrounding vegetation with a minimum of 100 feet which can be done by reducing the amount of vegetation, brush, and small trees in the area.
- The trees in the nearby areas of 100 feet of defensible space must be limbed up with a minimum of 6 feet.
- If you have a huge property, you can start by removing underbrush and vegetation this will help increase the defensible space of your property. It can also improve the appearance of your property and increase usable space.
A defensible space is important for a property. It is a space you create between your property and the surrounding areas. This space can slow down or stop the spread of wildfires and it will protect your home from the spreading wildfires in the area.
When there is a wildfire, embers, flames, or radiant heat can cause the fire to spread to other areas. A defensible space can provide firefighters to safely work in an area that is threatened by a wildfire. This will allow them to defend your home and property against wildfires.
Keep in mind that irresponsible agricultural activities can also contribute to wildfires. The main causes are the following: slash-and-burn operations, debris burning on agricultural lands, farms, and homes near wooded areas, and using of flammable liquids.
Slash-and-burn practices have been used in agriculture to expand lands. This process involves cutting down trees and other vegetation and burning them to clear the land. The ashes can be useful for providing nutrients to the soil and enhancing its fertility preparing it for the crops that will be planted in the area.
This method can also cause wildfires when it becomes out of control and they can spread and affect other nearby areas. Strong winds can be a factor and spread the wildfire a few miles away from the source of ignition. If your property is far from the wildfire, it doesn’t mean it will be safe you must do everything to protect your home. You must choose a company that can help you create a defensible space to keep you, your family, your pets, and your property protected against wildfires.
Farms and households in remote areas are known for burning leaves, crop remains, and other agricultural trash. This approach has been done for a long time because it is a fast and convenient way to get rid of them. If they are near wooded areas, they can be prone to wildfires which can also harm the environment, it is also illegal in a lot of countries, including in the United States.
To prevent wildfires from occurring, people must avoid burning debris, especially during dangerous weather conditions because the fire can easily spread to nearby wooded areas which can result in huge wildfires that can destroy homes and properties, and kill wildlife and people.
The ashes must be extinguished with water to prevent forest fires from spreading. When burning garbage, it is not advisable to throw different materials into the fire such as plastic and petrol, and oil fabrics because it can lead to explosions and release poisonous fumes which can be bad for your health and the environment.
Instead of burning your yard debris and waste, you can have them removed by a company like Defensible Services. If the vegetation in your property and its nearby areas is dry, you can have it cleared. Defensible Services is offering land clearing services in Butte California and its nearby cities. If you want to know more about the services that we are currently offering please check out this link.
We are offering the following a range of services, including debris removal, stump removal, tree and brush removal, and vegetation clearing. If you have any questions regarding our services or our company please let us know.
If you are interested to hire us for our services, please call us at (530) 990-9103 or send an email to email@example.com. We are located at 923 Bille Rd Paradise, CA 95969 USA. Defensible Services can help you prevent wildfires from happening on your property and its nearby areas. Contact us today, we are looking forward to hearing from you!